Saturday, February 23, 2013

Week Eight: slow and steady

 I'm just a normal person changing my lifestyle slower than I learned the present one. This blog contains my successes and failures. Follow along if you'd like. I'm not regimented or one sided. I'm enjoying the added fruits and vegetables, but I'm not giving up my meat. I'm losing weight a slower pace than I put it on, but it's coming off and people are seeing  it. I do have a goal--to be healthier, but I'm realistic and hope those that are following are having as much success as I am. Don't feel pressured to lose, just do what you can with the budget you have and together we'll be healthier than we were last month or the month before.

I've been fighting a cold for two weeks and I think it's finally on its way out. I spent several days lazing around and doing little. Still tire easily, but seem to be getting stronger. I added blueberries and oranges to my nutriblasts to encourage my immune system. I also took zicam and emergen-C as well to help me with the fight.

The garden is producing beans, spinach, leaf lettuce, garlic chives, and cilantro. The tomatoes are growing, but not yet ready to pick. I purchased some strawberry plants and will get them planted soon. Not sure what else I'll be able to grow as it's getting hotter. It was 85 degrees yesterday. Seems to be the norm for our winter temperatures this year. Our mango tree went into bloom early and has very few mangos. I hope the later trees bloom well or we're going to have a poor crop this year.

I put on a pound this week (that time of the month again). I'm a little upset it was more than last month at this same time, but I think the cold had something to do with it. I'm also under a lot of stress to get a lot of things done, taxes, books listed from our closed bookstore, money to pay the bills and no job, etc. We're going to Naples next weekend with some friends to forget about our cares and enjoy the ocean and other wonders Naples has to offer. Hopefully that will help bring down the stress factor.

Weigh-in--Beginning weight 188 pounds. Last weeks weight 166.9. This weeks weight 167.9. So that a total loss of 20.1 pounds and lots of compliments about how good I'm looking.

Benefits moment:

Grapes--Grapes work absolute wonders for the heart. The polyphenols within their skins decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease and protect good cholesterols within your body.

Choose grapes that are plump and wrinkle-free. Grapes should be fully intact with no leaking juices and firmly attached to a healthy-looking stem. Green grapes should have a slightly yellowish hue, and red grapes should be mostly red.
(copied from the Nutribullet pocket nutritionist)

Locally we have the choice between seedless red, green and black grapes and red seeded grapes. I looked for concord, but didn't find any. I use both in our nutriblasts. I don't know if they help with the arthritis or if it's the combinations used in the nutriblasts, but when we added grapes, my husband quit complaining about his wrists and fingers. When he went several days without his blast, he complained the pain was back. So, I make sure all his drinks contain grapes.

What's for Sunday dinner? A turkey breast cooked in the slow cooker, with potatoes, stuffing, gravy and homemade rolls. (Almost every Sunday has homemade rolls followed by brownies, hot from the oven, and ice cream for desert. And yes, I've been losing weight even with this type of dinner each Sundays)

Happy healthy eating, thinking about exercising (do you think it'll work like it does on the Jetsons?), losing weight and becoming healthier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment