Saturday, February 9, 2013

Weekly Update

I know this is late. Our son's Eagle Scout Project was today, February 9, 2013 and I wasn't able to post since I was helping him get everything together.

The garden is doing well. I've been eating spinach since Wednesday, February 6th and soon will be eating lettuce. The tomatoes are blooming, but I'm concerned about the lack of winter and the fact the groundhog didn't see his shadow and spring is almost here. (wouldn't know it with all the snow falling) As soon as the nights stay above 80 degrees tomatoes won't set. It's been in the 80's during the day for most of the winter. So much so the fruit trees are confused and already growing fruits. The beans are producing and I'm hoping to start eating from them next week. Not sure if I'll plant anything else since it feels like summer is already here and gardens don't do well during our summer months.

We made a beef broth with the slow cooker and then turned it into onion soup. It's not fantastic. I'll have to try again later and with a different recipe. If I find one I like, I'll make sure you get it.

Found another good recipe for my Nutriblast this week:

1/2 carrot or 5 baby carrots
handful of parsely
1 lemon, peeled
1/2 apple cored and seeded
1-inch piece of ginger (I cut it down to 1/8th as it was too strong)
1/2 avocado (learned today with all the snow up north, farmer's down here are having difficulty getting their avocados up to you. Hope you can find some.)
add water until approximately 2/3rds of the food is covered with water and mix.
(from the NutriBullet user guide & recipe book)

Weigh-in -- Beginning weight 188 lbs.This weeks weight 167.9. A total loss of 20.1 pounds in approximately 6 weeks. I still want to bike and walk more. Guess that will come when I'm done with all the books I'm trying to sell.

Benefits moment:

Cranberries -- With their anti-inflammatory qualities and high levels of vitamin C, cranberries work wonders for the body's cardiovascular, digestive, urinary, and immune systems.

Fresh cranberries are plump, deep red, and quite firm. Those with a darker hue contain higher concentrations of beneficial anthocyanin compounds. Cranberries can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 20 days. It is normal for berries to feel a bit damp when taken out of the fridge. This does not indicate spoilage unless the berries are discolored, sticky, leathery, or tough.
(copied from the Nutribullet pocket nutritionist)

Happy healthy eating, hopefully exercising, losing weight and becoming healthier

No comments:

Post a Comment