Friday, January 18, 2013

Wow! Didn't expect that

I planned to write this yesterday, but life got in the way. I thought I might get some pictures of the garden today, but it's dark now. Thought I might bike, but that didn't happen either. So, why the title? I'll get to that.

I saw a commercial selling pills to pop when hunger attacks your diet. Reminded me of what I had read about why many diets fail. Diets that say you can eat only this or that or restrict your calories tend to fail when hunger strikes. These are diets tend to be too restrictive. Hunger comes because you aren't meeting your needs. Most often you're not eating the foods that your body needs to maintain function. One must also have an attitude of wanting to change. The problem is many diets don't really give you a variety. Most of us, including me, eat the wrong stuff. I'm learning to eat the right stuff and finding just as many delicious choices. I read that one should concentrate on changing their food choices from unhealthy foods to healthy foods rather than watching the scale, but the scale does indicate the value of your changes.

I am watching the scale to see the choices I'm making are helping me lose weight. I'm also monitoring how I feel so I know the choices are healthy and beneficial. (feeling healthy and energetic is more important and should naturally lead to weight loss) My goal is to get down to about 125 lbs. I'm also planning to choose foods that will help against my genetics. Namely, heart disease (including heart attacks), diabetes, cancer and thyroid. I expect the food to help lower the chances of these affecting me. Weight-loss is an important part of many of the above.

So why the title? The first week I lost 7 lbs. A lot of which I'm sure was water due to the fact I put on a lot during the week before. The second week I lost almost 4 lbs. (recommended weight loss seems to be anywhere from 1/2 lb per week to 3 lbs with the average being about 2lbs) The third week I lost 2 lbs. Since I didn't write this yesterday here are my stats:  188 lbs 12/26/2012, 174.1 1/18/2013. So total weight loss to date--14 lbs an average of about 5 lbs per week. I was surprised what the scale read this morning because three days this week my weight stayed the same and the last couple were extremely close. I didn't expect to drop a little over 1 lb since yesterday's reading.

So this weeks recommendation is to watch your attitude so that you don't blame yourself for what's not happening, unless it really is. Most of the time it's because the diet you chose is too restrictive. You need to find a weight loss program that moves you from bad foods (you know, the ones that make you feel bad even while you're trying to convince yourself you feel good) to good foods (the ones that really make you feel good and healthy). And no worries if now and then you choose a food empty of nutrition or health values. You're entitled. Just remember to keep the right attitude.

Benefits moment:

Blackberries-This magic purple berry is packed with antioxidants and contains fiber, folate, and vitamins C and K. Blackberry seeds are also rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids, which can be released through the Nutribullet's extraction blades.

Look for blackberries that are slightly heavy and firm to the touch. Avoid wrinkled, shriveled, or dried-out berries. There should be little to no evidence of juice at the bottom of the container.
(copied from the Nutribullet pocket nutritionist)

No comments:

Post a Comment